Several arrested in Gibraltar after violent incidents at Waterport on Saturday

The chief minister convened a meeting of the Contingency Council and said "a small group of thugs won’t change the character of our community"

Debbie Bartlett

Nine people have been arrested and charged so far in connection with violent incidents outside the Bahía Bar at Waterport on Saturday. The police were called at 7pm and say the first five arrests were made within an hour and the suspects were charged on Sunday as follows:

Mark Macias, 30, charged with discharging a firearm, violent disorder, possession of a prohibited weapon, possession of cannabis, resisting police.

Callum Brayson, 18, charged with causing harm by furious driving, driving without insurance, driving without a licence, violent disorder.

Luie Gaivizo, 27, charged with violent disorder and possession of an offensive weapon.

Daniel Bates, 20, charged with violent disorder.

A 16-year-old juvenile, who cannot be named due to their age, was also charged with violent disorder.

A further four arrests were made on Monday. Three were local men, aged 65, 36 and 24, and the other was a 15-year-old girl.

Two people needed hospital treatment following the incident. A video of the violence, filmed from a nearby apartment block, was circulated on social media the same evening it happened, and shocked most of Gibraltar. The government issued a statement shortly afterwards, which said:

Reacting to the incidence of violence in the area of Waterport this afternoon, the Chief Minister said:

"The images of violence today on our streets are unacceptable. I will be convening a meeting of the Gibraltar Contingency Council to seek assurances about ensuring the safety and security of our streets and our people. A small group of thugs won't change the character of our community. The people allegedly involved are already under arrest by the Royal Gibraltar Police. To stop these incidents we must support the Police. If you have evidence please help now by assisting with inquiries."

"Measures will also be put in place to stop the repeat of this sort of activity in the areas in question where such incidents persist. The Rule of Law is often challenged. Our role is to ensure it is never defeated."

"Our Police have acted immediately and decisively and will no doubt continue to do so. Now the courts will need to consider the evidence and be firm and clear in sentencing anyone convicted to send the message that this type of animalistic behaviour will not be tolerated in our community."