Mayor of Nerja, Rosa Arrabal, announced on Tuesday that she would seek permission to hold a demonstration over the incomplete sewage treatment plant.
Earlier this month she said that she would “mobilise the town hall and invite residents to participate” in a protest if work hadn't started again by the end of January.
The announcement came a day after work was expected to recommence to the project, which is 76 per cent complete, but did not.
It was understood that work would start again on Monday as the town hall received instructions from the company managing the project, Isolux-Corsán-Corviam, during a meeting last Thursday to close roads and put up diversion signs so that the collectors could be installed in Avenida Antonio Ferrandis.
However, on Friday an announcement was made that Isolux-Corsán-Corviam was waiting for authorisation from a court in Madrid leading the company's bankruptcy case which was filed on 12 July 2017.
Arrabal said at a press conference on Monday that the council was “indignant” that they are not getting answers from the national government to their requests for meetings to discuss the project.
She went on to say that the town hall was “going to ask for permission to organise a demonstration to which all residents' groups are invited to participate.”
However, president of Nerja's business association, Ángela Díaz, said at the meeting that she isn't “in favour of protests” and believes that “dialogue” is the best way forward.