surinenglish

Marbella council says 'yes' to 17 million euros in new homes after PGOU town plan fix

Santa Clara in Marbella where some of the new homes will be built.
Santa Clara in Marbella where some of the new homes will be built. / J-L
  • Projects in Nueva Andalucía and Santa Clara have been approved as Marbella claims the blockage in new licences is clearing

The town hall in Marbella has been increasing the amount of building licences it issues in recent days. On Monday politicians gave their approval for the building of different projects in the resort with a value of 17 million euros.

Ninety per cent of this money will be invested in Nueva Andalucía with the construction of two residential complexes and one luxury villa. In eastern Marbella, three luxury homes also got approval in Santa Clara.

Councillors have said that the increase in the rhythm of approvals is a direct result of the town hall's approval of amendments to the town's 1986 master town plan, known as the PGOU.

The central PGOU planning document needed changes to it to make it legal, after an updated version of it published in 2010 was thrown out by a court in 2015 for irregularities. The 1986 plan is to be used while the council begins the long process of writing another, fresh plan.

However the failure of the council to approve the necessary modifications to the 1986 plan until now has been stopping decisions on new building licences being made.

The council has agreed on a 1.8-million-euro investment in the three Santa Calra properties and on another large home of 900,000 euros in La Cerquilla de Nueva Andalucía. With regard to the two complexes, 44 and 41 homes will be built in Nueva Andalucía as well with a construction value of 7.7 million and 7.2 million euros respectively.

“Our aim's been to unblock the situation and we're seeing the effects already,” said council spokesperson Félix Romero. Marbella council was recently taken over by a coalition of the conservative PP party and local San Pedro OSP party after a three-party coalition led by the Socialist party failed.

Romero said that the new council has also unblocked 6.5 million euros of invoice payments that had been on hold under the old administration.