Hundreds of people have been involved in the rescue operation since the toddler's fall was first reported on Sunday 13 January.
Engineers, rescue workers and security forces have worked together to get through the rescue plan that involved engineering projects that would normally take months to complete.
Machinery was brought in from around the country, a Swedish firm has helped with geolocation and the specialist miners came down from Asturias. The team of eight miners have been in Malaga for over a week, waiting for their chance to do their difficult and dangerous part of the rescue operation.
Meanwhile the local people have been giving their support to the rescue workers and the boy's family who have been put up in a nearby property in the village to be closer to the operation than their home in the Malaga suburb of El Palo.
On Thursday evening the people of Totalán were due to hold a vigil for Julen, his family and the rescue workers on what was likely to be his last night underground.
Speaking on behalf of the family, Juan José Cortés - the father of Mari Luz, a five-year-old girl who was abducted and murdered in 2008, who has been in Totalán since last week - said that they were still praying for a miracle.
The boy's father, José Roselló spoke out on Thursday against rumours that were being spread around social media about the family and the events of the day Julen fell down the hole. He said legal action would be taken against anyone who spread false information with regard to the case.