Protesters in Arroyo de la Miel on Saturday. / SUR

Protesters call for solution to delayed Costa Alzheimer's centre

The cornerstone for the new centre for Torremolinos and Benalmádena was laid in March 2011, but the project never got off the ground

T. BRYANT / I. GELIBTER BENALMÁDENA.

Hundreds of residents from Benalmádena and Torremolinos participated in a protest on Saturday to call for a solution to the delay in the construction of a local centre for people with Alzheimer's and dementia, a project that was announced more than ten years ago. The demonstration, in Arroyo de la Miel, was organised by the Benalmádena Association of Relatives of Alzheimer's Patients (AFAB).

Protesters highlighted the unsustainable situation at the current AFAB headquarters, which does not have sufficient facilities to cope with the growing demands of patients from both areas who need professional attention.

During the rally, which was held outside the Casa de Cultura, one supporter said that the objective was to "end a long decade of waiting".

"In the last ten years, all of the doors we have approached have been shut in our faces. Benalmádena and Torremolinos urgently need a centre where therapists and assistants can offer the sick the care that will give them the quality of life that they need to be able to cope with dementia until the end of their days."

AFAB celebrated with enthusiasm the act of laying the first stone of what would be its new headquarters in March 2011. Due to financial technicalities, the construction has never begun. The president of AFAB, Mari Cruz Azuaga, said last week that the organisation had requested the land for the construction of headquarters from the town hall in 2009. The initial budget for the work was estimated at 1.8 million euros, although the project was modified and the cost was reduced to 1.2 million, a figure which the AFAB president believes is achievable.