The Rincón de la Victoria petrol station. / GALINDO

Man arrested and released after the alleged 'harassment' of a young girl at a Rincón petrol station

Guardia Civil officers detained a suspect after analysing images captured by security cameras at the service station, but released him without charges after he had spent a night behind bars


A man has been arrested by Guardia Civil officers, but released without charges, after the alleged "harassment" of a young girl at a petrol station car wash on the A-7 in Rincón de la Victoria, on the Costa del Sol.

The incident happened at around 2.15 pm on Monday, 1 November, at the Tamoil petrol station at kilometre 254 on the A-7, but details have only just been released.

A father took his nine-year-old daughter with him when he went to wash his vehicle at the service station. Parking it in the first car wash bay the parent cleaned the vehicle with a high-pressure water gun while the child waited outside the car, and at no point was she more than three or four metres away from him.

After a few minutes, another vehicle arrived at the car wash area which entered bay three. A man got out of the car and appeared to watch the child. He gestured, then got back into the car to drive again. He stopped a few metres from the young girl and apparently said something to her from the vehicle. When the father became aware of the strange behaviour the man who was acting suspiciously quickly left.

Registration number

The girl’s parent rushed into the petrol station to request that they keep the images from the security cameras and then he reported the incident to the Guardia Civil. After officers reviewed the video footage of the incident, and the strange behaviour of the individual, an alert was passed to other units in the area, with details of the registration number of the vehicle that was also captured on film.

The man was arrested a few hours later and faced questioning by police officers about his actions.

However, after spending a night in a cell, the detained man was released without charges after a judge ordered the case was not sufficiently proven and should be shelved.