A nine-year-old British girl died on Monday in Malaga's children's hospital after apparently suffering a severe reaction after tasting an ice cream the previous Saturday.
Sources said that the girl was allergic to milk and nuts which caused a possible anaphylactic shock although the exact cause is still under investigation.
The girl reportedly suffered the attack last Saturday when she tried the ice cream and started to feel ill. She had arrived in Spain for a half-term holiday with her parents and two siblings that morning. Sources told SUR that after leaving their luggage at their accommodation, they went to a nearby shopping centre in Fuengirola.
It appears that while they were there the girl tasted an ice cream which triggered the severe reaction. She started to feel ill and the family returned to their hotel.
There, they went down to the restaurant area for dinner, but the girl’s condition worsened, said the sources, and they left without eating. It was then that the youngster apparently suffered a cardiac arrest and received first aid treatment from hotel staff, until the arrival of the emergency services, who received the call just after 9pm.
Once stabilised, the girl was taken by ambulance to the Costa del Sol hospital, near Marbella, where she was admitted in a serious condition.
As she continued to get worse she was moved to the children’s hospital in Malaga. By that time her condition was critical. The health authorities confirmed that she died on Monday evening.
On Tuesday an autopsy was carried out and a judicial investigation has been started, although indications are that it was the extreme allergic reaction that caused the death. Full toxicology tests will be carried out at laboratories in Seville.
The Club La Costa World complex, where the family are staying, has passed on condolences and thanked the emergency services for their “fast and professional response”, as well as the hotel staff for their “continued support for the family at this difficult time”.