The islet that the FRS ferry San Gwann crashed into. / EP

Ibiza ferry accident leaves 25 people injured - one seriously

Nine people were airlifted to safety and a ten-year-old child is in a serious condition in an intensive care unit after the ship ran aground on Saturday night


A total of 25 people were injured after the San Gwann ferry of the FRS shipping company ran aground on Saturday night, including a 10-year-old boy in a serious condition who was transferred to the Son Espases de Mallorca University Hospital.

According to FRS the incident happened at around 9.30pm on the northern islet of Es Malvins, between Ibiza and Formentera. At the time of the accident, a total of 35 passengers and 12 crew members were travelling on the ferry.

After the impact, the crew assisted the passengers until all of them were safely evacuated from the ship.

According to the Ibiza and Formentera healthcare authhorities the SAMU 061 emergency services transferred 19 people to the Can Misses Hospital, two of them by helicopter in serious condition, seven cases in less serious condition and 10 mild. Another six people in mild condition were transferred to the Clínica del Rosario.

The two cases initially assessed as serious were two children aged 10 and 12, both of Spanish nationality. The 10-year-old boy was transferred to the Son Espases University Hospital, where was admitted to the paediatric intensive care unit is described as 'seriously injured but stable'. The 12-year-old has already been discharged from hospital.

Of the other 17 injured, three people remain in hospital, two 41-year-old men and a 32-year-old woman, due to multiple injuries. The remaining 14 people have been discharged.

Nine people onboard the ferry were evacuated by helicopter and the remainder by boat. Another ferry that was in the area also helped in the rescue efforts.

The Salvamento Marítimo coastguard service said that five essential crew members remained on the ship while arrangements were made to refloat it. According to the authorities there have been no fuel spills from the ferry.