President of Aehcos, José Luque, said he was 'moderately satisfied' with the data. / SUR

Costa del Sol hotels close August with an occupancy rate of 76.42 per cent

Last-minute bookings are creating problems for the sector, with hotel owners unable to judge staffing and stock levels with certainty

EUROPA PRESS

Hotels in Malaga province have closed the month of August with an occupancy rate of 76.42 per cent, according to the Costa del Sol hoteliers (Aehcos). Some 69 per cent of the holidaymakers were from Spain while international travellers accounted for the remaining 31 per cent.

The eastern coast of the Costa del Sol - Nerja, Frigiliana and Torrox - has led the occupancy ranking, with 91.2 per cent. They were followed by Marbella and San Pedro Alcántara, with 87.34 per cent, and Malaga city with 87.27 per cent.

After analysing the data, the president of Aehcos, José Luque, said he was «moderately satisfied» by with the hotel occupancy rate, but warned that the association has «enormous concern about the level international demand, since it has been much lower than expected.»

In a statement Aehcos said, «national tourists have saved the season from an atypical summer, however it is to be expected that the national demand will decrease significantly in the coming months, so Aehcos looks with uncertainty and great concern at the coming months. «

The association has stressed that «it is still too early to predict what will happen in autumn-winter, a season in which the Malaga airport connections with the rest of the world will be essential.»

Another problem that the sector is facing comes from last-minute bookings. «These late reservations cause uncertainty amongst hoteliers, who find forecasting the future difficult – especially with regard to staffing and stock levels» the association has pointed out.