Capper sent notification of acquittal in Agnese case just a day after he died of Covid

Capper in court in Malaga.
Capper in court in Malaga. / SUR FILE PHOTO
  • The British man convicted of causing the death of a woman in a hit-and-run incident in Marbella and sentenced for coercion in the trial over the disappearance of a Latvian woman died this week

Westley Capper, the British man convicted for fatally running over a woman in San Pedro Alcántara and coercing Agnese Klavina, the Latvian woman who disappeared in Marbella in 2014, died this week with Covid-19 complications.

According to sources consulted by SUR, Capper suffered a stroke linked to becoming infected with coronavirus on a recent visit to Britain, as reported in the UK tabloid press.

Just one day after his death, the Supreme Court sent him notification that he had been acquitted of the crime of coercing Klavina, the missing woman.

In the written judgement absolving him, which SUR has had access to, the court considered that Capper was unjustly sentenced for coercing 30-year-old Agnese Klavina as there wasn’t sufficient proof against him.

The initial sentence from the provincial court concluded that the woman was intimidated because the accused took advantage of three factors: Klavina’s inebriation, his corpulence and the active presence of other people. But these factors were insufficient and weak forms of evidence, the Supreme Court found.

Capper, son of multi-millionaire John Capper, had spent years in and out of court Spain. He and his friend, Craig Ian Porter, were the only ones tried for the still-unsolved case of the disappearance of Klavina, who was seen for the last time with both of them on the night of 6 September 2014, at the same time she was reported missing.

The CCTVfootage of the Marbella nightclub that recorded the three together was key to the inquiry but the Supreme Court was not so sure of how conclusive the recordings were in its findings.

A year and a half later, on 9 May 2016, a Bentley driven by Capper with Porter as passenger ran over Fátima Dorado Para, a 40-year-old Bolivian cook who was on a pedestrian crossing in San Pedro Alcántara on her way home from work . The victim later died in hospital while the two accused fled and were held in a shopping plaza in Estepona municipality.

Government prosecutors wanted two and a half years in jail for Capper considering that he was driving under the influence of alcohol and cocaine at 75 km/h in a 40 km area.

Capper deposited 300,000 euros with the courts towards compensation and he was sentenced to two years in jail,.

Ian Porter was held just 20 days after being sentenced over coercing Klavina for violent robbery. A car had been taken from a 29-year-old and was found burnt out later in Estepona and the youth identified Porter.