The Junta de Andalucía has said this Tuesday that the coronavirus pandemic in the region is "under control". It understands, however, that "it's necessary to keep taking measures" to keep it that way, and called for "responsibility" among young people
"Seventy per cent of admissions [to hospital] in Andalucía are people between the ages of 20 and 51," said Andalusian government spokesperson and regional cabinet minister Elías Bendodo in an interview given to Onda Cero radio on Tuesday morning.
"Citizens need to see that those responsible for the situation progressing as it is doing are not the authorities, but the citizens themselves with their responsibility," continued Bendodo.
He stressed that Andalucía is "the most populated region in Spain" and the one that has the greatest volume of tourism in the country, but despite this the pandemic situation is "controlled" although there are "new outbreaks as there are in all parts of the world".
Bendodo said the curve of contagion in the region is "flattening and the figures from the last few days have shown a reduction compared with previous days".
He also said that thanks to the monitoring carried out by the contact tracers "almost no outbreak" detected in Aadalucía "has more than ten cases of infection".
The regional minister stated that the Junta has a plan to assess the pandemic situation every two weeks and "update measures". The next meeting for this will be this Thursday 13 August when the committee of experts that advises the Junta will "assess the situation and announce new measures" to keep the situation "under control" as it is now.
When asked about possible health and safety breaches at a bullfight last week in El Puerto de Santa María (Cádiz), Bendodo said that "from next Thursday" the Junta will "set down the need" to guarantee the obligatory one and a half metre distance among the public at events.
He said that while at bullfights the maximum spectator capacity is 50%, the measures will be taken in relation to the physical separation between members of the public.
The regional minister said that the current penalty system, which includes fines of between 100 and 600,000 euros for failure to comply with Covid-19 health and safety regulations, "will be applied, and is being applied, and fines issued, to the letter.
This week's figures
The number of patients with Covid-19 admitted to hospital in Andalucía has doubled in the last two weeks.
On 30 July 52 patients were in hospital (seven in intensive care) around the region; the figure reported on Monday by the regional health authorities was 110 (20 in ICU).
The increase in Malaga province is similar. On 30 July there were nine people with Covid-19 in hospital (none in intensive care) while on Monday this had gone up to 18 (two in ICU).
Monday's figures increase the number of "active" local outbreaks in Malaga province to 31, of which 28 were at the investigation stage (contact tracing and testing) and the rest considered to be controlled.