Quick thinking staff in one instance and knowledge of CPR in another were key to saving the lives of two small girls last week. Both had slipped into pools in different hotel establishments along the Costa del Sol.
The first and more dramatic of the incidents took place in the Pierre & Vacances complex, east of Estepona. A five-year-old French girl fell into the water without her parents realising and she was discovered unconscious by a swimmer moments later.
As the complex descended into chaos, 57-year-old Miguel Ángel Gil and another holidaymaker began to perform CPR while an ambulance was called. After several minutes of compressions, the girl vomited up the swallowed water and regained consciousness, before being taken to hospital to recover over several days. Gil is now calling for first aid courses to be made obligatory for staff in public places and school pupils.
In Torremolinos, panic also ensued at the Amaragua Hotel in the La Carihuela area after a two-year-old Spanish toddler slipped into the pool while her parents were talking. Despite the water being crowded with swimmers, the eagle-eyed lifeguard spotted the girl struggling and immediately rescued her, forcing out all the water she had swallowed. The child was taken to Hospital Materno Infantil de Málaga where medics confirmed that no lasting damage had been done.