Emergency services in Granada. File photograph. / SUR

Care home resident dies after jumping from a window during a fire

Two staff at the Granada residence were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after the blaze


A 60-year-old man, who was admitted to a care home in the Granada town of Loja, died on Monday night (30 August) after he jumped from a third-floor window in the room where a fire started.

Two staff from the residence suffered smoke inhalation and received hospital treatment after the blaze, according to the 112 Andalucía emergency services coordination centre.

The first calls reporting smoke and flames at the Calle San Francisco residence were received at 10.15pm.

Upon arrival, the emergency services found the lifeless body of a resident who had jumped from the window of the room where the fire started, according to Guardia Civil sources.

Firefighters controlled the blaze, while health workers transferred a 41-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman to Loja hospital, both members of staff had been affected by smoke inhalation.

The fire has affected the third floor of the centre and all the residents were relocated to other units in the same building.

The Guardia Civil is working to clarify the precise circumstances of the incident.