Malaga head coach Víctor Sánchez del Amo has been suspended by the club pending an investigation, it was announced on Tuesday night.
The news follows the leak of an explicit video of the coach on Tuesday morning which went viral on social media but has since been removed by Twitter.
In the video, Víctor is seen wearing a Malaga CF training shirt and underwear. After placing the camera in front of him, he then lowered his underwear so that his genitals were visible.
The 43-year-old, who took the helm in April 2019, released a statement on Twitter earlier in the day in which he said he had reported the incident to the police.
"Harrassment and extortion"
"I wish to report that I am being subjected to a crime against my privacy with harassment and extortion," the statement read. "The matter is in the hands of the police and I entrust myself to follow their instructions."
He also warned that "disseminating intimate content of any person without consent is also a crime either through social networks or messages or in any other way".
"Thank you for your understanding and support," the message concluded.
In the club's statement, which came two hours later, it was announced that Víctor would be suspended from carrying out his duties while the club carried out a thorough investigation into the events.
"We will disclose further information once the facts have been clarified," it said.
Club president Sheikh Abdullah Al-Thani, in what has been interpreted as a reference to Víctor, wrote on Twitter: "Be strong and say I make a mistake."
Despite the club choosing to suspend its coach, Víctor has received widespread support, not only from Malaga fans, but also from across the world of football.
Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) boss Luis Rubiales described Víctor as "a great professional". "He has all my support," he wrote on Twitter.
"Privacy is an inviolable right. Using illicit means to violate it is immoral and also criminal. And for a third party to take advantage of it is unspeakable," he added.
Two of the biggest Malaga CF supporters' groups also declared their support for the coach. The Frente Bokerón posted on Twitter: "We show all our support and respect to @Victor_SDA and his family. We are with you!"
Meanwhile, the Malaka Hinchas posted: "Incomprehensible, @MalagaCF. This gentleman has been the victim of a crime, extortion, blackmail or whatever you want to call it and look what you do to him, after putting up with all your mismanagement like a gentleman. With you til the end, @Victor_SDA. Chin up!"
Players return to training
The Malaga players returned to training at the Ciudad de Málaga stadium on Wednesday amid plenty of press attention. However, it was clear that the policy was not to say anything.
Only midfielder Renato broke his silence to say: "We are not going to say anything at this time."
Attacker Juanpi, meanwhile, only said "no" when asked if he was surprised by the reaction.
The players then underwent a behind-closed-doors training session which was led by assistant coach David Dóniga, accompanied by the rest of the coaching staff, minus Víctor.
Whether Dóniga will remain in charge for Malaga's next match at home to Ponferradina next Tuesday remains to be seen.