Despite his side sitting bottom of the La Liga table with just a single point, Malaga head coach Míchel has received the backing of his new sporting director, Mario Husillos.
Husillos has said that the Malaga boss will not be losing his job, even after Sunday's defeat to Leganés.
“I believe in his work, I think he is a great coach,” Husillos told SUR. “He is the coach that was in place when I arrived and the players and staff all speak well of him.”
“He is a coach that I like and he has conveyed nothing but positivity about getting the team out of trouble,” he said.
Despite the side's catastrophic run of form in the eight matches so far, Míchel has mostly avoided criticism, both from the fans and the club hierarchy.
Having turned around the side's fortunes after taking over from Marcelo Romero at the start of March, optimism among the fanbase was sky high at the conclusion of the 2016-17 season. However, since then it has been felt that Míchel has been let down by the poor business conducted by the Costa del Sol side in the transfer market which cost Francesc Arnau his job as director of football.
Having sold high-profile players such as Sandro Ramírez, Pablo Fornals, Ignacio Camacho and Carlos Kameni, while Weligton, Duda and Martin Demichelis all retired, the players recruited have been far from the same level.
Besides Borja Baston, who was signed on loan from Swansea City, the other summer signings arrived to hardly any fanfare. Emanuel Cecchini, Esteban Rolón and Diego González, all expected to take on major squad roles, have no top-flight experience, while Paul Baysse and Roberto arrived from Nice and Espanyol, respectively, after falling out of favour with their former employers.
With so much change to the squad, it is hardly surprising that the newcomers haven't hit the ground running, thus buying Míchel some breathing space in the hotseat.