surinenglish

Gas leak possible cause of explosion in Marbella apartment

The explosion blew the front off the flat.
The explosion blew the front off the flat. / CHARO MÁRQUEZ
  • Three residents were taken to hospital, one of whom was sleeping in the flat at the time, but none had serious injuries

Residents were evacuated after an explosion in an apartment in the Marbella neighbourhood of Divina Pastora during the early hours of Monday morning.

It is thought that a gas leak was to blame.

"The explosion could have killed me," said a resident of the building.

Emergency services were called and residents were evacuated while the flames were put out. They were able to return later that morning but some chose to stay in a hotel.

Three of the residents were taken to hospital, one of whom was sleeping in the flat at the time of the explosion. None had serious injuries.

Most of the front wall of the affected flat fell onto cars on the street below.