surinenglish

Additional funding confirmed to finish work on Nerja plant

  • The project is 90 per cent complete but awaiting modifications that were not included in the contract

Nerja town hall announced on Wednesday that central government has approved the release of an extra two million euros to complete the outstanding work on the town's sewage treatment plant.

The announcement confirmed that Nerja mayor Rosa Arrabal had attended a meeting with representatives from Spain's environment ministry, where she was told that the additional funding had been approved.

The town hall said on Wednesday that 90 per cent of the project was complete. However, the remaining 10 per cent, which involves installing a further eight water discharge points, was not accounted for when the contract to carry out the project was awarded in 2014, despite a total of 11 such points featuring in the original plans.

The additional funding will allow the Nerja project, which is the only unfinished treatment plant project on the Costa del Sol, to be completed.

The project is currently running three years behind schedule, largely due to the fact that the company managing the project declared itself bankrupt in 2017.

Once complete, the plant will be able to process up to 25,000 cubic metres of wastewater a day for 125,000 people, allowing for a significant growth in the population during the summer months.