Britons accused of kidnapping Latvian woman tell court they don't know what happened to her

The defendants in court.
The defendants in court. / FRANCIS SILVA
  • Westley Capper and Craig Porter answered questions in the provincial court on Monday about the disappearance of Agnese Klavina

The two British men accused of the kidnapping of a Latvian woman in Marbella in 2014, told a Malaga court on Monday that they did not know where she was.

Westley Capper, the son of British multimillionaire John Capper, and Craig Porter, face prison sentences of 12 years and damages of more than 80,000 euros for the disappearance of Agnese Klavina. The trial began on Monday in Malaga's provincial court.

The young woman was last seen leaving the Aqwa Mist nightclub in Puerto Banús on 6 September 2014 and getting into a car with the defendants. The prosecution says that video footage shows that Agnese was forced into the car against her will. She has not been seen since.

In court on the first day of the trial, Capper, whose defence is calling for his acquittal, said that he met Agnese that night in the club and had a few drinks with her and her female friend. He then suggested, he said, that they went back to his house to continue partying and Agnese agreed.

The young woman had been drunk, he said, and stumbled on the way to the car, which is why he had to grab her arm to hold her up.

According to Capper's story, he asked the club's doorman to close the car door and, after taking some cocaine, they drove out of the car park heading for his house on the El Madroñal estate.

Minutes later, he said, Agnese asked him to stop the car because she wanted to get out. He dropped her off at the Ronda road roundabout, he said, as she told him she lived nearby, even though her home was really two kilometres away.

Drugs and alcohol

He and Porter, he said, carried on to his home where they took more drugs and drank alcohol.

Craig Porter confirmed in court that he had gone back to Capper's home where they continued "the party" by themselves. He told the court, however, that he didn't remember anything about what happened on the journey there from the nightclub as he fell asleep in the car. In court on Monday the nightclub's doorman said that the woman got into the car of her own accord and he had to close the door twice because the first time it didn't close properly.

"Nothing unusual"

On Tuesday Agnese's sister, called as a witness, told the court that there was nothing unusual going on in her life and that she had never said she wanted to disappear.

The missing girl's mother and a male friend also stated that she lived a normal life. Everything in her apartment, they said, had been left in its place, just as it would be if someone goes out and expects to return home a few hours later. There was no indication that she might have planned to disappear of her own accord.