surinenglish

Man held over Daesh link wanted to launch attack on Manilva fair

  • The 27-year-old Moroccan national has been placed in prison without bail

The 27-year-old man arrested in Manilva last Tuesday over possible links to terrorist group Daesh has been refused bail after it was revealed that he had said he wanted to attack the town's fair.

The man had recorded a video in August last year at the Feria de Manilva saying that that was where he was going to carry out the attack and that he wasn't afraid to die as a martyr.

According to public prosecutors, he had direct contact with members of Daesh in Syria, declaring his intention to join them over social media, and pledged his loyalty to the group's leader, Omar Bakr El Baghdadi. He had also tried to acquire weapons, they said.