surinenglish

Torre de Benagalbón residents opt for new sustainable promenade

Mayor Francisco Salado, presenting the results last week.
Mayor Francisco Salado, presenting the results last week. / E.C.
  • Mayor of Rincón de la Victoria, Francisco Salado, said he was "satisfied" with the result and the way in which the vote was conducted

Residents of Torre de Benagalbón have voted for the most environmentally friendly of the two options presented to them for a new promenade.

Mayor of Rincón de la Victoria, Francisco Salado, unveiled the results of the vote last week. Of 2,700 votes, 77 per cent voted for the more environmentally-sensitive prom, while the remaining 23 per cent favoured the more traditional concrete option. Salado expressed his "satisfaction" at the result which was also the one he voted for.

He added that the promenade, known as 'Salacia', after the Roman Goddess of the sea, would be "100 per cent sustainable and act as a driving force for an abandoned area of the town."

Salado also praised the voting system, which allowed residents to vote online. Just 387 residents went to the town hall building in person to cast their vote, while the majority voted via smart phones, tablets or computers.

The mayor said the system had been "a huge success" and that it was a "good test" for the future. He added that checks had been carried out against the town hall census ('padrón') to eliminate duplicate votes.

The 3.6-kilometre promenade, which will run between the Granadillas and Santillán streams, is set to include LED lighting, a bike lane, benches, green and play areas and will be made using entirely sustainable materials, including wood.