Residents of the Calaceite housing development in Torrox Costa were told that the building was safe to return to on Monday afternoon, a day after a landslide caused serious damage to a door, several windows, railings and a wall in one of the blocks.
Town Hall technicians as well as engineering company, ICS, carried out a full inspection of the building on Monday morning and deemed the area to be safe. Damage was done to a corridor. However, none of the apartments in the building were affected.
Although local police, who arrived at the scene shortly after the incident occurred, advised residents to leave, technicians said that "there was no danger to individual properties," confirmed vice-president of the Calaceite community, Miguel Soto. "Those of us who had nowhere else to go stayed here anyway," he added.
Soto said that the town hall has promised to pay to repair the damage, which has been estimated at between 30 and 40,000 euros. "Luckily nothing serious happened and we are hoping that the town hall will keep their promise," he said.
Most of the 33 flats in the building were empty at the time as the majority of them are second homes and mainly used through the summer months. Just six are occupied all year round.
The Calaceite development is just 1.5 kilometres from the area of the N340 coastal road where a giant rock fell last week. The road is expected to be closed for at least one month.