Two horror 'revenge' killings in 48 hours shock the Costa as police probe growing drug-gang rivalry

In Estepona a man was shot at his El Campanario home.
In Estepona a man was shot at his El Campanario home. / Charo Márquez
  • Swedish suspects have been held over the Mijas attack while the man who shot and killed an El Campanario resident on his doorstep is still at large

The Costa del Sol has been hit in the past week with the latest wave of murder and violent crime that many are linking to score-settling between increasingly self-confident rival drug gangs. In just 48 hours, two people were killed and one seriously injured in two separate incidents. So far three people are under arrest.

The first incident was an attack and killing in a residential area of Mijas municipality last Friday night and the second, a cold-blooded murder on the El Campanario luxury estate near Estepona on Monday.

Mijas attack and death

In Mijas, several residents in the Puebla Tranquila area, between Mijas Pueblo and Fuengirola, reported an apparent fight in a property at about 7pm on Monday evening.

On arrival, police found a scene of forced detention. Two victims had been bound, gagged and tortured, and had shotgun and stab wounds. One man died at the scene while the other was taken to hospital with wounds before being detained. Police believe that the attackers had left them both for dead.

Nine hours later the two alleged assailants, who hold Swedish nationality like the victims, were arrested while trying to board a ferry to Morocco. Reports said they had fled Mijas in a Porsche, which was then abandoned, before taking a taxi towards the port in Algeciras.

Shock on luxury estate

The second killing to strike on the Costa came early on Monday morning when a man was gunned down on the doorstep of his luxury villa on the El Campanario estate in Estepona, close to the border with Marbella district. Police received calls at 3.40am reporting several shots in the Camino de Cortes next to the golf course.

A man's body was found at the scene with three gunshots to his head and several more on his body. Investigators believe the attacker had been waiting for the victim to return home. The killer was wearing a balaclava and left on a bicycle towards the A-7, where a getaway vehicle was believed to be waiting. Sources suggested the victim, a Spanish national of North African origin, had links to the drugs trade there.

Local resident in El Campanario, Tanya Money said: "I was worried as my oldest son was out [when the shooting happened], although we thought it was partying youngsters making a noise." It wasn't until later that morning that she found out what had happened. She added that luxury cars with number plates in Arabic were frequently seen arriving at the dead man's house.