surinenglish

Spectacular early-morning fire engulfs Torre del Mar beach bar

The flames and smoke could be seen from a long way off.
The flames and smoke could be seen from a long way off. / E. Cabezas
  • According to the owner of the bar and restaurant, the fire started in a fryer in the kitchen area

A well-known chiringuito restaurant and bar on the beach in Torre del Mar went up in flames early on Thursday morning.

Three fire engines were called to the Bere Bere chiringuito, which is on the western side of the resort next to the annual Weekend Beach festival ground.

According to the owner of the bar and restaurant, the fire started in a fryer in the kitchen area. He explained that a person on the premises at the time had tried to put out the flames but "it spread very quickly and once the fire took hold the gas cylinders started to explode and no more could be done".

The flames and column of smoke were visible for many kilometres and by 10am emergency services had succeeded in extinguishing the blaze.

No injuries were reported but the building, a popular beach venue for Axarquía residents and visitors, was completely destroyed.