The population of Rincón de la Victoria has doubled in size in the last 20 years, from 23,000 according to the 2000 census, to 46,000 people according to the latest figures. However, it wasn't until the arrival of the Malaga to Zafarraya train in 1908 that the town, along with La Cala del Moral, which sits to the west and forms part of the area, became anything more than vineyards and a very small fishing village.
Delving further back into the area's history, researcher and author, Miguel Alba Trujillo, has revealed that Rincón de la Victoria once was governed from a town hall in the then larger village of Benagalbón, situated about six kilometres inland and still part of the same municipality today. In the late 1940s the town hall was relocated to coastal Rincón de la Victoria and the district renamed, due to disputes between the different local centres of population of Rincón, Benagalbón, Torre de Benagalbón and La Cala del Moral.
Up until 1835, Benagalbón and the area around it, including Rincón de la Victoria, belonged politically to nearby Moclinejo, but after a 12-year attempt to gain independence Benagalbón finally achieved its goal on 28 August 1835.
Now a proposal has gone to Rincón de la Victoria town hall to make 28 August an official holiday in the municipality to mark the course of its history and in particular its separation from Moclinejo.
The town hall has said that the proposal has been "well received" and will now be debated before going to a full council meeting by the end of July. The idea of four gold shields being awarded annually, presented to residents who have "offered their services" to the town, "whether they are Spanish or foreign" has been included in the proposal. The Izquierda Unida party (IU), who has submitted the proposal, hopes to be get approval to celebrate the day this year.