surinenglish

Mayor cancels annual 'boquerón' festival following gas leak death

Guests leaving the hotel.
Guests leaving the hotel.
  • The festival in Rincón de la Victoria was due to start last Friday

Rincón de la Victoria's annual Fiesta del Boquerón Victoriano was cancelled last Friday, on the day it was due to start, as a mark of respect to resident José Manuel Calleja, 62, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Cantabria in northern Spain.

A group of 42 people from La Cala del Moral, which is part of the Rincón de la Victoria municipality, had travelled to La Isla hotel in Cantabria with an organised trip through two local residents' associations. On Thursday reports came through that one person had died and five others were in critical or serious conditions in hospital in Santander.

On Friday evening 35 members of the group travelled back to La Cala del Moral by train and were met by Rincón de la Victoria Mayor, Francisco Salado, who declared that the festival would be cancelled and that there would be three days of mourning in the town.

The mayor also said that the town hall would be placed “at the disposition” of all of those affected by the disaster and that “assistance and psychological help” would be offered.

José Calleja's funeral took place in La Cala del Moral last Sunday.