Finnish man filmed how homeless Brit was taunted before he died at Malaga Airport

Steven's body was found on a bench.
Steven's body was found on a bench. / S. SALAS
  • The images posted on Facebook, which have allowed detectives to identify another four suspects, show that Steven was still alive when a group were insulting him

A video posted on Facebook by a Finnish man, shows how Steven Allford, the 51-year-old British man who was found dead on a bench at Malaga Airport on 21 October, was still alive when he was being insulted and mocked before he died.

The footage shows him lying face down on a bench at the cercanías train station, the same position in which he was found, his hands bound to the bench with plastic ties, several hours later by a security guard. In the video he moves his head slightly. He is surrounded by a group of people, also apparently homeless, who are laughing at him.

The Finnish Facebook user did not leave the images on his page for very long, but long enough for the police to find them. The video has led detectives to four more suspects thought to have taken part in the insults and to have contributed to the death of the British man. The autopsy revealed that the victim, who smelled strongly of alcohol, had died by choking on his own vomit.

In October detectives arrested Kimmo T. N., a Finnish national of the same age as the victim who also slept rough. He is still be held in prison, while an international arrest warrant has been issued via Interpol for the other people identified in the video. Two of them are British and two Finnish.

The investigation into a possible case of negligent homicide is based on the fact that the victim's wrist and ankle were bound to the bench. Detectives are trying to determine whether these restraints prevented the man from turning over to stop himself from choking and therefore contributed to his death.

Steven's body was found with slices of ham on his buttocks and his genitals had been put inside a tuna tin, which could lead to charges of harassment or desecration of a human body, depending on whether he was still alive when this was done. His trousers had been pulled down to his knees but the autopsy revealed no evidence of sexual assault.

Detectives believe that the motive for the attack could have been a fight over food. Other homeless people interviewed after the incident said they knew Steven and that he would often take food and drink from others, but refused to share his own, especially not his drink.

The British man suffered episodes of schizophrenia, for which he was undergoing treatment, as well as alcoholism. He had been arrested several times. The most recent for negligent homicide in France. He was released in August and returned to England. A few weeks later he came to Spain and ended up in Malaga. He had been sleeping at the airport for several weeks when he was found dead.