As we prepare for some special meals for the festive season it is natural that we want our pets to enjoy those delights by sharing. In reality we would do them no favour. Indeed we would do them harm by this well intended gesture. No person in his or her right mind would want to cause distress to an animal, especially at Christmas.
The fact is that animals have a different digestive system to humans and what we enjoy can be harmful to our pets. The chocolate we enjoy contains a compound called Theobromine which is dangerous to dogs and cats and can be fatal. Your best plan is to buy chocolate especially created for animals from your vet or good pet shop which does not contain this substance.
“Give the dog a bone” is a line in a popular rhyme but is not sound advice for it depends on the type of bone. Poultry or rabbit bones splinter when chewed and should never be fed to animals. Marrow bones are ideal for dogs and Fido will have a great time extracting the nutritious marrow. We have bought three for Digger to chew over the festive season, two in reserve in the fridge. I suggest you go to a reliable butcher to buy a marrow bone or maybe a few and your dog will have hours of fun,
I have heard recently of a lady owner of two Old English sheepdogs who had invited several guests to have Christmas dinner with her and in preparing the food had left a packet of raisins within range of the dogs. It resulted in an expensive visit to the vet with, fortunately, a happy outcome for the dogs. It might not have been as even a single raisin or sultana or similar dried fruit is very dangerous.
Animal food may look unappetising to us but our pets love it. They may like to eat the food we enjoy but the consequences can be very distressing, even fatal. Do take care over the festive season and feed Fido and Kitty what is good for them.