surinenglish

Parliament House in Gibraltar to be restored

The original building. sur
The original building. sur
  • The project includes taking back the commercial premises on the ground floor and returning them to their original use

Parliament House in Main Street Gibraltar, which was built in 1817, is to be restored to its former glory, including taking back the commercial premises on the ground floor and returning them to their original use.

The building began as the Exchange and Commercial Library, then housed the Gibraltar Legislative Council from 1950, then the House of Assembly after the 1969 Constitution and became the seat of Parliament following the 2006 Constitution.