surinenglish

Threat level to Gibraltar remains 'substantial' after recent review

There is no intelligence to suggest an increased threat.
There is no intelligence to suggest an increased threat. / D. B.
  • An attack remains a strong possibility, but the Contingency Council says there is no intelligence to suggest an increase in the threat to Gibraltar

The governor of Gibraltar, Lt Gen Edward Davis, and deputy chief minister Dr Joseph Garcia met with the Gibraltar Contingency Council on Tuesday to review security and civil contingency measures on the Rock.

A statement issued after the meeting by the Governor's office said it had been decided to maintain the threat level at 'substantial', which means that an attack remains a strong possibility, but stressed that there is no specific intelligence suggest an increase in the threat to Gibraltar or to any forthcoming high profile events.

The GCC also considered the latest developments in the UK, following the attempted murder of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salisbury a few days ago; this involved the first use of a nerve agent in Europe since 1945 and has resulted in a chilling of relations between the UK and Russia, who the British government blames for the attack.

The GCC also expressed its admiration for the brave and selfless work of first responders who are often called upon to attend such distressing, difficult and dangerous crime scenes. It will continue to monitor developments in the UK closely, but stresses that there is no reason for members of the public to be alarmed in relation to the events in Salisbury.

As ever, people in Gibraltar are asked to remain vigilant and to report any concerns they may have about security and law enforcement to the Royal Gibraltar Police.